Saturday, July 30, 2005

Back from a little absence - A Day At Big Mountain in Whitefish, MT.

After getting a job at one of the local newspaper as a graphic designer, the past three weeks have been quiet uneventful. I got a job working for the newspaper call The Whitefish Pilot in Whitefish, Montana. However, I have yet to work one single minute at the Whitefish office. I've been working and living in Kalispell, Montana some 17 miles from Whitefish. They have me here in Kalispell all this time training, but next Monday, I'm suppose to be in Whitefish working from then on.

Whitefish, is one of the coolest places to live in Montana, but because of the prime summer and winter activities, Whitefish is also one of the most expensive places to live in Montana.

Last weekend my good friends Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Sheedy, came to visit me for a couple of days while they were spending their one week vacation visiting old ghostowns here in the northwestern part of America. They came in late Saturday evening, so we decided to wait until the next day to go mountain biking at the Big Mountain Ski and Summer Resort at Big Mountain just outside of Whitefish, MT.

Sunday, the following day, was sunny and cool. It was a perfect day for mountain biking down a mountain. The sky was clear, the air was fresh, and the temperature was perfect. Getting to the resort was very easy and before long we were on the ski lift and on our way to the summit of Big Mountain.

The bike trail was 8 miles long down the mountain side. The trail was very fast, and winded through mountain side meadows filled with thousands of wild Beargrass and dozens of other types of wild flowers. The trail also cut through several patches of cool and dark wooden areas. From the summit, I could clearly see Glacier National Park and it's dozens of high mountain peaks some forty miles away.

Near the base of the mountain, I had a major spill. My front tire caught the edge of the trail, after which, my bike went into the neighboring meadow and I went sliding on down the gravel bike trail. Boy, I wish, I would have landed in the meadow instead of the gravel.

Mom, your baby boy is ok. No major damage done, except if you're counting egos. My Oakley watch suffered some major scratches across the crystal. My left elbows will have to carry some nasty looking scars for the next several weeks. But in spite of that, I was still able to go down the mountain one more time after that.

Afterwards, we explored the beautiful town of Whitefish, MT. We stop in at this cool pizza place Call McKenzie's River Pizza Co. for pizza and beer. Then we went to a local micro brewery which was conveniently right across the street. The brewery just happened to be having a beer tasting event going at the time. First samples were free, and the ones after that cost a few bucks.

We sat outside on the balcony watching kids playing in the park caddy-corner across the street, and directly across the street from us, we watch scores of people line up to see "My Fair Lady" at the local Play House. I didn't know that there were that many sophisticated people in Montana. Hmmm, maybe they were tourist like myself.

I'M JOKING OK!!

All in all, it was great ending to what had been a great day. My first real day in Whitefish, MT.

No comments: