Friday, July 01, 2005

Third Day in Glacier National Park, MT - Hiking up to Granite Park Chalet

After a couple of days of gray skies and rain, my third day at Glacier Park looked a little more promising for a hike up to Granite Park Chalet. The early part of the day was sunny and warm, but this was not to be for very long. By noon, it was cloudy and it looked like it was going to rain at anytime.

The hike up to the Chalet was a strenuous 4 miles up and 4 miles down with a rise in elevation of 6000+ feet. Even though it looked like it was going to rain at anytime, I decided to go for it. Because of the threat of bears, it was the first time ever,I went on a hike fully armed. I packed a knife and my 9mm Makarov. I know, stop laughing at me! I was SCARED, OKEY!

The hike to the Chalet took a gruelling two and a half hours, but the view was just absolutely stunning. I managed to make it to the Chalet without getting rained on. There were a few people up there. Most of the residents were off hiking somewhere. There were park rangers there that have to stay there 8 days at a time. I was told that the Chalet can acommodate 37 people.

One could stay at the Chalet for $65 a night, but one has to pack up one's own food and supplies. I thought about staying there for the night, but pets are not allow.

The hike back down the mountain didn't go as fast I had planned. It took an hour and forty-five minutes. Plus, I got caught in a short spring shower.

I got very lucky, because when I got back to my car, it started to rain hard. But, the rain didn't last. For the rest of the afternoon and on into the evening, it rained off and on. It would turn dark and gray, rain a little, and then it would become clear and sunny again. It sucked because it kept doing this. I'd start to plan something to do, then it would rain.

Tomorrow, I start my first day at my new job. I have to go to Kalispell which is 35 miles away for training. When I'm done with my training, I'll be working at another location in the town of Whitefish.

No comments: