Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Leaving Teton Village – First day in Sun Valley, Idaho

After doing some blogging at my favorite coffee shop in Jackson, the pups and I headed for the ski resort of Sun Valley, Idaho. The route we took, took us through the Targhee National Forest, Swan Valley, and by the Crater of the Moon National Park. Plus, we went through Arco, Idaho which was the first city in America to get electricity from nuclear power.

My first night in Ketchum, Idaho which is right next to Sun Valley was a memorable one to say the least. After some exploring of the nearby terrain, I walked the pups to a nearby store. I secure them to what I thought was a secure post and then I went inside. Moments later, the pups dragged the post off through the parking lot until they separated themselves from it and then they commenced to run scared and loose through downtown streets of Ketchum.

Shortly afterwards, Snapper was returned to me by a caring young lady. The puppy on the other hand was still yet to be found. As the minutes ticked by, I began to think that all hope of getting her back would be lost.

Then I remember something that another beagle owner once told me when I was at the Smoky Mountains National Park a few weeks earlier. He said that a beagle when lost will usually return back to a familiar location where their master was once at. So, I immediately drove to the first place we went to after first arriving at Ketchum. It was a field that was right next to the place we were staying at the base of Bald Mountain.

When I got there and sure enough, there she was sitting and waiting in the middle of the field. I couldn’t believe it, and I was truly relieved to see her there. Once again, we were a complete family. No one on this earth could have been happier then me on that evening in Ketchum, Idaho.

The next morning we would hike up Bald Mountain.

No comments: