Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Second day in Ketchum, Idaho – hiking Bald Mountain.

Our next day in Ketchum was another glorious one. It was a prefect day for hiking. Bald Mountain is a tall steep mountain, yet the trail zig-zagged alone the mountain side through wooden pines made the hike somewhat bearable. After all, in the winter time this is the prefect place for skiing.

While hiking to the top of the mountain, Snapper picked up a deer and began to chase it from one end of the mountain to the other. Suddenly the mountain was filled with the sound of Snapper’s wicked baying. True to form and one hour later, Snapper had herded the deer back to the spot where Comet and I were patiently waiting at. If I had been on a deer hunting trip, I would have nailed that deer for it came so close to me and there was no way I could have missed it with a deer rifle. I was so glad to see the tired worn-out superb tracker. He was so thirsty that he couldn’t bay except for an occasional feeble bay. He practically ran down the mountain to get a drink of water. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. When we got back to the Big Wood River that runs along the base of Bald Mountain, I thought Snapper was going to drink the great river dry.

That evening was uneventful for we were so sore and tired from hiking. I was hoping to go into to town and part take of some of the bars and taverns that I passed by while looking for my dogs the evening before. But, it was not to be.

The next day, we leave for Glacier National Park in Montana.

No comments: