Sunday, May 29, 2005

Fourth day in DC, visiting some more museums

Sunday, May 30, 2005 began early. Coming through the thick walls of my room was the sound of the scores of bikers that have invaded this once quite small community of Manassas. All morning long, the air is filled with the sound of Harleys roaring up and down the streets of Manassas. Apparently, for the past several years, Vietnam veterans on motorcycles make this annual pilgrimage to DC for what has become known as Rolling Thunder. Rolling Thunder is where some 3000 bikers, mostly on Harley's, do a parade ride down Constitution Ave on Memorial Weekend. Even while I was on the Metro heading for DC, I saw scores of bikers riding in formation down interstate 66 towards DC.

As I came up from the underground area where I had unloaded from the rail, I was greeted with the warmth of a glorious day. The temperature was in the low seventies, sunny and not a cloud in the sky. One couldn't have had asked for a more prefect day to see the museums in DC.

My intend was to visit the National Museum of the American Indian and the National Museum of Natural History. Instead, I ended up seeing five. Starting with the Smithsonian Institute and ending with the Hirshhorn Museum. I found the National Museum of Natural History and the National Gallery of Art to be really cool.

I was a little disappointed with the National Museum of the American Indian. I had high hopes and was very excited about seeing it. But I found it to be lacking compare to some of the other museums. Still, it was ok, and I was, nonetheless, glad I was able to visit it.

In between museums, I got to see the parade of Rolling Thunder as it roared down Constitution Ave. I must admit, it was very moving. No pund intended.

My day at the museums ended around five in the afternoon. My feet were hurting like something fierce, and I was dead tired. I still had a long rail ride, and then another 12 miles by car just to get back to the room. I should sleep good tonight.

Tomorrow, it's to the outdoor memorials, the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial. It should be another long day filled with lots of walking.

No comments: