Sunday, May 29, 2005

Third day in DC, National Battlefield at Manassas VA

I initially had planned on visiting the National Battlefield at Manassas in northern Virginia on my last day in the DC area, but circumstances forced me to do it on Saturday May 29, 2005 instead. After taking care of some things that needed to be done, the pups and I went to the battlefield mid morning. Just after we arrived there, the weather began to change. The sky turned cold and gray and it started to rain. Apparently, a cold front was blowing in. Much to my surprise there were people everywhere. Unlike all the previous battlefields I had visit I was not alone. It being a Saturday may have had something to do with it.

Once the rain started, everyone started to scatter for shelter like roaches when a light comes on in a room. Not me and the pups. We roughed it out. Well, at least until we got to the visitor center. Fortunately, the rain stop after a little while and the sky began to clear. The battlefield is well marked and layed out both geographically and chronologially. The battlefield spreads out for miles and it is layed out for visitors to walk it if they so choose.

Of all the battlefields I have visited so far, it's by far the best. There are cannon batteries everywhere and a cool monument of Stonewall Jackson. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in the Civil War to come and visit this battlefield.

Tomorrow, it's back to DC to vist some more museums.

No comments: