Friday, May 20, 2005

journey continues in Arkansas and Tennessee

Two days ago I was in Hot Springs Arkansas. I spend the night there but I didn't really do much of anything except rest. I did take pictures of the place because the area is very beautiful. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to upload them to my blogger site.

The following day I was in Dickson TN. From there I drove to Franklin TN to visit some Civil War battle sites. As I went to Franklin, I drove through some amazingly beautiful country side. The roads winded through flushing green meadows and rolling hill country. Franklin is a small country town just outside of Nashville. From the looks of it, it probably hasn't grown much since that infamous day back in 1864 when the Battle of Franklin took place.

There's this great museum at the Carter House where the actual fighting took place. There were numerous Civil War uniforms, flags, weapons, and photos on display at the museum. Unfortunately, I was not allow to take photos inside the museum. Outside, I was able to take picture of a couple of cannons and the main Carter House and some of it's surrounding structures.

After leaving the Carter House, I went to a cemetary where some of the dead from the Battle of Franklin were buried. Walking the small retangular shape cemetary between the narrow rows of tombstones was very moving. Especially, after the sky turned gray and it began to slightly rain, which was my que to leave.

Next, I was on my way back winding through the beautiful countryside of Tennessee towards the town of Dickson TN again. There I decided to get a oil change because the sticker on my windshield was saying I was due for one. After that, I ended up at a place called the River Retreat Hostel in Charlotte TN. The place is a small house right on the Cumberland River. I plan on staying here for a couple of days. I figure I'll give my trusty car a good rest, as well as, my trusty two companions. The house has a big fenced in yard for Snapper and Comet to run around, However, this place is loaded with ticks. So, they don't spend too much time outdoors.

This place is literally in the middle of nowhere. It's at least 10 miles if you want beer, 5 miles if you want a soda, 5 miles to the nearest eating establishment, and 12 miles to the nearest grocery store and filling station. So getting what you think you'll need before coming out here, is a very very good idea.

Today, two Canadians and one very young Japanese girl are coming in. So with that combination, there should be some serious partying going on tonight. Tomorrow, I will be making my world famous Migas dish for breakfast. After that it's off to the Stones River Civil War Battlefield. Then, I continue on my journey which I'll probably spend the night in Knoxville TN or the Smoky Mountains in NC just on the other side of the Tennessee and North Carolina border.

No comments: